Google Drive Backup native sync client—Backup and Sync—usually has no problem backing up or syncing files and folders on PCs and Macs. But sometimes, it can just stop. Bugs and glitches, connectivity issues, and misconfigured settings are some of the reasons.
In general, Google Drive is a powerful tool that can back up and sync files across your devices with its multiple features
Its backup and sync service enables users to upload and save files from any folder on an SD card to a computer, camera, and cloud.
Don’t Miss: Best Music Download Apps
So, in the following section, we’ll show you how to fix Google Backup and Sync not working
Top 5 Ways to Fix Google Drive Backup & Not Working
To fix the Google Drive backup and sync not working error, please continue your reading to continue. This section will list 5 effective ways.
Method 1. Restart Google Backup and Sync
To fix the error of Google Drive Backup and Sync not working, you can also choose to restart the Google Drive Backup and Sync.
Now, here is the Method.
- Click the Backup and Sync icon from the System Tray.
- Then click the three-dot menu to continue.
- In the pop-up menu, click Quit Backup and Sync to continue.
After that, Google Backup and Sync service will be stopped. Next, you can click the desktop shortcut of Google Drive Backup and Sync to restart it.
After restarting, you can check whether the issue of Google Backup and Sync not working is solved.
Method 2. Re-Open Backup and Sync
Quitting and restarting Backup and Sync is another solution that can help resolve slow or stuck uploads and downloads.
- Select Backup and Sync.
- Open the Settings menu and select Pause. Then, select Quit Backup and Sync.
- Re-launch Backup and Sync from Google via the Start menu (PC) or the Launchpad (Mac).
Method 3. Choose the Correct Account
If the Backup and Sync account is not correct, you may also come across the error Google Drive Backup and Sync not working. So, to fix this error, you need to choose the correct account.
Now, here is the Method.
- Click the Backup and Sync from the Google icon from the System Tray to view the Google account.
- If the Google account is not correct, you can go on to the next steps.
- Click the three-dot menu to continue.
- In the pop-up window, choose Add New Account. You don’t have to remove the old Google account to add a new one.
- Then you can follow the wizard to continue.
After completing all the steps, reboot your computer and check if the Google Backup and Sync error is working.
Method 4. Run Backup and Sync as Administrator
If the Backup and Sync application lacks administrative rights, you may encounter the error that Google Backup and Sync will not open. So, to fix the Google Drive backup and sync not working error, you can try running it as administrator.
Now, here are the guides.
- Right-click the desktop shortcut of Backup and Sync for Google and choose Properties to continue.
- In the pop-up window, go to the Compatibility tab.
- Then check the option Run this program as an administrator to continue.
After that, restart Backup and Sync from Google to check if the Google Backup and Sync not working error is resolved.
Method 5. Check Firewall For Google Drive Backup
Firewall is a Windows built-in feature. It can protect your computer. For example, it protects your device from unauthorized access, viruses, cyber-attacks, phishing links, and more. But sometimes, the firewall can block backup and sync from Google which is running normally so you may face Google backup and sync not working error.
So, to address the issue of Google Drive Backup and Sync not working, you can try checking the Firewall settings.
Now, here are the guides.
- Press the Windows key and I key together to open Settings.
- In the pop-up window, type Firewall in the search box of the Settings page and choose Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- In the pop-up window, you will see that a list of applications and services are allowed or disallowed.
- Then click Change settings to continue.
- Find out the Backup and Sync for Google and enable it under both the Private and Public columns.
- After that, click OK to confirm the changes.
After that, restart the Backup and Sync from Google and check whether the error of Google Backup and Sync not working is solved.
Adding to Firewall on PC
When it comes to managing your firewall settings on a Windows PC, the process might seem daunting at first. However, it’s a straightforward task if you follow these simple steps:
- Open Windows Defender Firewall Settings
- Navigate to the Control Panel and select “System and Security.” Click on “Windows Defender Firewall.”
- Choose ‘Allow an App or Feature’
- Select “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” on the left-hand side.
- Add the Application
- Click on “Change Settings” and then “Allow another app.” Choose the app you want to add and save the changes.
Adding to Firewall on Mac
Mac users fear not; managing firewall settings on your system is equally straightforward:
- Open Security & Privacy Preferences
- Go to “System Preferences,” click on “Security & Privacy,” and select the “Firewall” tab.
- Unlock and Make Changes
- Click the lock icon, enter your password, and make changes by clicking on “Firewall Options.”
- Add the Application
- Click the ‘+’ icon, select the app, and save the settings.
Deleting Backup and Sync Configuration
Delete Configuration Files — Windows
Sometimes, you might need to start fresh by deleting the configuration files on your Windows system:
- Navigate to AppData
- Open File Explorer, type ‘%appdata%’ in the address bar, and press Enter.
- Locate Google Folder
- Find the ‘Google’ folder and delete the ‘Drive’ and ‘Logs’ folders.
Delete Configuration Files — Mac
Mac users can also clean up configuration files easily:
- Go to the Library Folder
- Open Finder, press ‘Shift + Command + G,’ type ‘~/Library/’, and hit Enter.
- Remove Google Folder
- Locate the ‘Google’ folder and delete the ‘Drive’ and ‘Logs’ folders.
Reinstall Backup and Sync
Are you encountering persistent issues? A fresh installation might be the solution:
- Uninstall the Application
- Follow the uninstallation steps for your respective operating system.
- Download and Install
- Visit the official Google Backup and Sync page, download the installer, and run the installation.
Uninstall Backup & Sync
Uninstall Backup & Sync — Windows
- Open Control Panel
- Navigate to the Control Panel, select “Programs,” and click “Programs and Features.”
- Uninstall Backup & Sync
- Find Google Backup and Sync, right-click, and choose ‘Uninstall.’
Uninstall Backup & Sync — Mac
- Use Finder
- Open Finder, go to ‘Applications,’ find Google Backup and Sync, and move it to the Trash.
- Empty Trash
- Right-click on the Trash icon and choose ‘Empty Trash.’
Google Drive Backup and Sync Issues Resolved
Encountering issues with Google Backup and Sync is not uncommon. Here are some common problems and how to resolve them:
- Syncing Delays
- Check your internet connection and ensure the application is up to date.
- File Upload Failures
- Verify file formats, sizes, and available storage space.
- Error Messages
- Google error codes? Visit the Google Help Center for specific solutions.
Resolution of Google Backup and Sync Issues
In summary, resolving Google Backup and Sync issues requires a systematic approach. By following the steps outlined above, users can troubleshoot and overcome common problems, ensuring a seamless backup and sync experience.
Addressing Google Drive Backup and Sync issues promptly is crucial to maintaining a reliable data backup system. By understanding and implementing the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article, users can ensure that their data remains secure and accessible.